Incorporated in 1992, Southern Hens is a fully integrated poultry processing company engaged in the processing and distribution of fresh, frozen and canned RTE poultry products. Southern Hens operates three plants at its’ headquarters in Moselle, MS and employees 900 team members. Southern Hens has a long history of targeted growth and training and promoting team members to achieve corporate and personal professional goals.
The QC Manager is responsible all activities of the Food Safety and Quality Assurance department in a manner which ensures consistent product safety and quality. This position is also responsible for maintaining working relationships with customers (internal and external) and FSIS Inspection. Additional responsibilities include and are not limited to:
- Responsible for developing and maintaining quality and hygiene programs for plant products, which ensures compliance with company, state, and federal standards.
- Develop, document, implement, verify, and validate Food Safety and QA processes and
procedures used to monitor incoming raw materials, production, and products (Finished
and Work in Process) to ensure compliance to all regulatory, customer, and company
- Build and maintain a strong team through effective recruiting, training, coaching, and team building. Provide feedback to direct reports on a constant basis (i.e., Appraisals, Coaching, etc.) that will lead to their continued development.
- Provide products and services to customers (internal and external), which meet or exceed expectations.
- Drive plant improvement by providing proactive solutions to issues that will support facility operations staff in achieving Quality and Safety goals.
- Maintain contact between Sales and Operations in order to communicate customer/consumer issues and resolutions.
- Provide timely, accurate, and relevant data and analysis to enable them to effectively manage the business.
- Maintain a professional working relationship with USDA/IFSIS. Monitor industry and regulatory news to identify new trends that could be utilized for continuous improvement within the facility and company.
- Communicates with plant management and supervision on deficiencies and priorities.
- Helps train new employees.
- Helps to keep work area clean on a routine basis.
- Reports production or safety issues to the General Manager.
- Performs other functions as directed by the General Manager or Food Safety and Quality Assurance Director, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Animal science, or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in food processing
- Knowledge of poultry/foods processing principles; understanding of management principles, and team concepts. General knowledge of plant functions: production, maintenance, warehouse, shipping, receiving, and sanitation.
- Ability to speak, see, hear, walk, bend, stoop, reach, twist, grasp, lift, and stand.
- Ability to lift, stack or carry materials in boxes, up to 30 to 75 pounds.
- Ability to work in humid, hot temperatures.
- Ability to work safely.
- Manual dexterity and hand to eye coordination.
- Excellent attendance record
- Good analytical and communication (written/oral) skills
- Ability to read
- Good math skills
- Excellent computer skills (preferably experience with database programs)
- Well organized
- Attention to detail
- Proven ability in supervision of others.
- Capable of working with others with minimum supervision
- Ability to learn new tasks quickly and perform accurately
- Pleasant personality and professional demeanor
- Willingness to work long hours and weekend
- Valid driver license and good driving record
- Knowledge of USDA/IFSIS Regulations, Quality Audit Systems, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), and Food Safety Systems including HACCP and SSOP, preferred.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER INCLUDING DISABILITY AND VETERANS
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
To keep our employees safe, we have sanitizing stations as you enter and exit the facility and in each break areas. CDC social distancing is observed. Temp checked upon entering the security gates. Employee masks available.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Moselle, MS 39459: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Poultry Quality Control: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location